"He never gives up." ~The Baroness and Storm Shadow
Last we saw this figure he was just in the beginning stages. A LOT of progress has occured since then and I documented as much as I could! He is on track to be finished this month. Depending on work, a 5K I'm running and the training it entails and you know... trying to have a life.
After making the first removable mask I set about making shoulder pads. My plan was to make the arms sleeved instead of the bare look the figure has. I started by Dremeling out a divot to fill with sculpt to make the shoulder pads.
I was heavily influenced by the Snake Eyes: Resolute look.
I waited for it to half-set (about an hour and a half) and then used the sculpting knife to cut out the square pattern, let it set a little more and then lightly rubbed it down with water using my fingertip, applying almost no pressure. I just wanted to smooth it over and give the appearance of quilted cushioning.
Next was a custom machete. I looked at a lot of variations until I found something that struck my fancy. This was a G.I. Joe knife as a base completly sculpted over and sanded with 1,500 wet sandpaper called Black Ice. Holes were made with a Dremel drill bit.
Another thing that inspired me was Null from Metal Gear Portable Ops (Also known as Gray Fox/ Cyber Ninja). The cyber ninja is one of those super cool ninja (modern) archetypes. And Null and Snake Eyes had a lot in common: silence, uzis and swords.
One of the next things I did was start making the custom weapons. A Kusanagi style sword, a grass cutter. Much like the blade of Zatoichi (I am a super huge fan of the legend of the blind masseuse.) It's the sword from a ML Blade shaved down.
A custom sheath made from electrical tape and crazy glue. (Tutorial still in production. Sorry I know I have been promising this but, I lost ALL my photos and have been doing it all over.)
and a custom uzi made form a Toybiz 1990's Punisher toy uzi.
After I made sure the sword fit I filled one open end with sculpt to start the cap of the sheath. I wetted the blade and kept it in as I sculpted so the blade would fit snugly. once done i removed it so it wouldn't dry to the blade.
While the sheath tip is drying we will work on the uzi parts. The tips for the uzi start off as a soft ball of sculpt.
Back to the uzi. After the glue has set, give it one more application on the sides, fronts and backs and let that set. Then I went about sanding them and making sure any unevenness was corrected for that nice even shot down the middle.
I put the ribbing on the side of the frame on next. I admit this was a bit big, but it was my first attempt... smaller next time. I basically made two tubes and then smoothed them on with water. I did have to sand them a bit.
That little "nub" on the top of the uzi (part of the slide and bolt I think) were a challenge. I wanted it to appear close to the frame but as if it were floating. So I snipped a small pice of paper clip for the peg, and rolled up a tiny orb of sculpt and flattened it. Then let it set.
While waiting for that to dry, I Dremeled out the shell ejector. You can see the crude grip I did. I plan to re-do this later now that I know a lot more about sculpting as this figure was one of my first. I learned a lot making him. (Also note I wet sanded the frame and "ears" so their was as little a gap as could be.)
As you can see the little peg never worked out. It was either too high, or when I shortened it it didn't stay glued in place. In the end this looked more natural as well.
I then painted it silver and washed it with a diluted black wash.
"SOMETHING WITTY THIS WAY COMES!"